Oh Canada 2020! Photography Contest
Canada’s glorious land, home of so many memories and rich family traditions, is largely off-limits to Americans due to the pandemic. Cottage communities, fishing and hunting camps and lodges, and back-country destinations across Canada are quieter, or perhaps closed. While Americans and Canadians are not free to share our love in-person for the places we hold dear to our hearts, we can share through photographs.
American Friends of Canadian Conservation invites everyone with a passion for Canada’s natural heritage to participate in a virtual holiday, and possibly a new annual tradition. Show us your favorite landscape, inspire others with your images of Canada’s nature, offer a peek into your ideal vacation day, give your community a visual high-five for its special event, demonstrate your camera skills! The contest is open to all amateur photographers.
Photos may be submitted between August 15, 2020 and September 15, 2020. You may vote anytime between August 15, 2020 and September 30, 2020. The winners will be announced by October 15, 2020.
Oh Canada! Photography Contest Categories
You can submit up to 7 photos, but please submit no more than 3 photos per category.
- Landscapes (can include people, but they are not the subject)
- Water (can include people, but they are not the subject)
- People in Nature (primary subject is a person)
- Wildlife (including fish and insects)
- Plants, Trees and Flowers
- Events (public, community-oriented activities)
- Tradition (including built environment, man-made objects)
- Grand Prize Winner will be featured on the cover of American Friends’ 2021 Calendar, next issue of the publication Among Friends and on the American Friends’ website, plus the award for the category in which the photo was entered
- The winner of each category will be awarded a commemorative, dated decorative tile from Motawi Tileworks of Ann Arbor Michigan. View the stunning Motawi Tiles in greater detail.
- The winning photo will appear in the American Friends’ 2021 Calendar and in Among Friends
- The Canadian land conservation organization connected to the Grand Prize winner will receive a fee-free year of grantee status from American Friends
- All photographs must be of subjects in Canada.
- Contest is open to citizens from any country.
- Images must be the property of the contestant.
- Only amateur photographers.
- Photos can be used by American Friends to promote its conservation mission and partnerships
- Submitted photos must be less than 5 MB.
- Winners will provide high resolution images suitable for print publication.
The grand prize winner will be determined by John D’Onofrio. John is a widely-published photographer and the owner/editor/publisher of Adventures NW Magazine. Read more about John D’Onofrio and view some of his professional photos.
Here is How it Works
- Register below to enter the contest.
- Promote your entry on social media to increase your chances of winning, expand the number of entries and benefit your favorite Canadian conservation organizations.
- Vote for your favorite images by clicking on the heart icon. You may only vote once per photo. To prevent voter fraud, there is IP restriction in place so it is possible that two people using the same device will not be able to vote. In that case, try voting using your phone or another device. Encourage all your contacts to vote for your photographs.
- Winners in each category will be based on the number of online votes they receive between August 15, 2020 and September 30, 2020. The winners will be announced by October 15, 2020.
- The Grand Prize Winner will be selected by John D’Onofrio.